Grand Champions Cup/ Iran Falls Short of Energy to Beat Brazil
Osaka, Japan, September 15, 2017 – Wallace De Souza and Lucas Saatkamp led Brazil in their 3-0 (25-22, 25-19, 25-15) win over Iran in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Grand Champions Cup at the Osaka Municipal Central Gymnasium on Friday.
Wallace and Lucas sparked Brazil’s offence from the start and finished with 15 and 14 points, respectively. Ricardo Lucarelli helped out on offence with 11 points for Brazil. Brazil had a total of 11 blocks to stop the Iranian hitters and their top scorer Milad Ebadipour was reduced to score only nine points.
Brazil utilised their middle and right-side hitters to score in clusters, while Iran did not have a good side-out game. Even though the Asian side found their rhythm to tie the score, Brazil still scored the last three points closed the opening set. Brazil used the same attack strategy, but implemented better defence that provided additional opportunities to counter-attack. The game plan worked for Brazil to secure the straight-set win.
- Grand Champions Cup/Speraw: Iran played great volleyball; we struggled to score points
- Grand Champions Cup/Marouf: Our substitutes did well today
- Grand Champions Cup/ Iran give Japan the 2nd Surprise
- Grand Champions Cup/ Iran Set Up a Winning Debut against Italy
- Grand Champions Cup/ Coaches Ready to Kick Off a strong Debut