AVC Women’s U23 Championship/ Iran downed Malaysia 3-0 to Taste First Victory
Iran, playing their opening match at the championship, brushed off Malaysia in straight sets 25-21, 25-23, 25-16 in their Pool D preliminary match on Sunday.
“This is our first match of the tournament, so we were quite nervous. It was quite tough in the first set as our opponents played well and we made so many errors. However, after we got adapted to the court conditions, we came back to our own game and were able to play fast. I am very happy for our first victory,” Iran’s head coach Sedighi Sima said after the match.
“We trained together for only two months before playing in this tournament. Our goal is to finish among the top four teams,” she added.
Fatemeh Amini top scored with 11 points for Iran, while Mona Ashofteh added 10 points. Low Mei Cing and Alicia Yii led Malaysia with 13 and 7 points respectively.
On Monday, the last day of the preliminary matches, Hong Kong will take on Macao to decide the second team to join Thailand to the next round. Japan will play Uzbekistan, while Kazakhstan will challenge Chinese Taipei to decide the top spot in Pool C. Australia will meet Sri Lanka, with Iran taking on New Zealand.
- AVC Women’s U23 Championship/Struggling Iran pulled off hard-fought 3-0 win over Kiwis
- AVC Women’s U23 Championship/GTM Takes Place in Nakhon Ratchasima
- AVC Men’s U23 Championship/ Iran crown the 2nd Asian Men’s U23 Volleyball Championship
- AVC Men’s U23 Championship/ Taipei Clinch Bronze Medal after Formidable 3-1 win over Thailand
- AVC Men’s U23 Championship/ China Claim the 5th Spot at Asian Men’s U23 Championship