AVC Women’s U23 Championship/ Iran lost to Hong Kong to fight for 7th Place
Hong Kong capitalized Iran’s errors to power past the rivals with a convincing straight-set 25-14, 25-22, 25-18 victory at their 5th-8th playoff match at the SMM 2nd Asian Women’s U23 Volleyball Championship at The Mall Nakhon Ratchasima’s MCC Hall on Saturday.
Chim Wing Lam scored a match-high 17 points for Hong Kong consisting of 13 kills from 44 attempts, 2 blocks and 2 ace serves, while Koo Yung Yung added 9 points. Mona Ashofteh led Iran with only 9 points, all from her destructive spikes.
“I think my team played a stable performance today. Iran are very strong team with tall players. They made many unforced errors, so we took advantage of their mistakes to win this match. Today we also served and counter-attacked pretty well,” said Hong Kong’s head coach Cheung King Fai.
“Tomorrow (Sunday), we will play either Kazakhstan or Malaysia. We played Kazakhstan before, but in that match our performance was not good. Hopefully we can match them if we have to take on the Kazakhs again. For Malaysia, they are a good team with tall and good attackers. I think both teams are not easy to play, so we have to try our best. Hopefully, the fifth position can be within our reach,” he added.
- AVC Women’s U23 Championship/Taipei Demolished to Advance to the Semifinal
- AVC Women’s U23 Championship/Iran accept the first loss against Vietnam
- AVC Women’s U23 Championship/Struggling Iran pulled off hard-fought 3-0 win over Kiwis
- AVC Women’s U23 Championship/ Iran downed Malaysia 3-0 to Taste First Victory
- AVC Women’s U23 Championship/GTM Takes Place in Nakhon Ratchasima